Lorne Marr Interviewed in Forum: the Magazine for Financial Advisors

Posted on November 30, 2005 in Life Insurance Canada News, LSM In The News

Lorne Marr Headshot

LSM Insurance Director of New Business Development, Lorne Marr was interviewed for the Health Matters section of Forum:the Magazine for Financial Advisors:

Fitness Forum Advisor

For many advisors, staying healthy and keeping fit is an important part of their daily routine. Lorne Marr, CFP, MBA, of LSM Insurance in Markham, Ontario, has spoken to many advisors over the years on how he maintains his passion for health and fitness, and quality family life, while growing his business. An advisor for over 11 years, Marr has been been a qualifying MDRT member every year since 1994 and in 2004, he qualified for MDRT Court of the Table. FORUM talked to the 36-year-old father of three about how he achieves a healthy balance in his hectic life.

FORUM: How important is achieving a work-life balance to you and how do you go about doing that?

Marr: Creating a balance in my business and personal life is crucial. Having a fulfilling home life definitely adds to my bottom line. I try to get my family very much involved in my business and personal goals. On the business side, I write out weekly, monthly and yearly goals, and attach a reward to each goal. For example, my wife and I will go out for a nice dinner or weekend away if I hit a certain production target. My children are also starting to get very involved in this process.

FORUM: We know that you're a "fitness buff." What fitness activities do you partake in and how many hours (or times a week) do you devote to keeping in shape?

Marr: My main forms of exercise are weightlifting and Tae Kwon Do. I competed as a bodybuilder at a local level in my 20s and have been weight training for 20 years. I started Tae Kwon Do about three years ago and I am currently going for my black stripe, competing in a couple of tournaments along the way. I generally train five days a week -three days of weights and two days of Tae Kwon Do. I also play a little baseball and ball hockey on the weekends.

FORUM: How do you find time to fit exercise into your busy schedule?

Marr: My workouts are treated as an appointment. They go right into my schedule and my business appointments are simply scheduled around these workouts.

FORUM: At the end of the day, what do you think you gain from being fit and healthy?

Marr: Living an active lifestyle actually creates time by giving you the energy and confidence to face life's challenges. The increased energy enhances the relationship I have with my family and my clients.

FORUM: What's your advice to advisors who want to get fit and stay healthy?

Marr: Set a goal, write down that goal and develop a plan of action. Each week or month, implement another component of that plan until it becomes part of who you are. Exercise and eating right is a habit no different than drinking or smoking. But it is a habit that creates value in your life and in the people you care about.

HEALTHY VIEWING

Eight Weeks to Optimum Health

In Eight Weeks to Optimum Health, Andrew Weil, M.D., a graduate of Harvard Medical School who has become a celebrity for advocating a a balanced lifestyle of body, mind and spirit, provides energetic lectures advocating an eight-week program that will lead the viewer to a healthier life. Standing before an attentive audience, Weil is an engaging lecturer, relying often on commonsense analogies while avoiding medical jargon. He presents his eight-week program very practically, beginning with tips on what to eat (and what to avoid), and proceeds to offer advice on exercise, how to handle stress and related topics.

Source: Amazon.com

Call us: 1-866-899-4849

Name *
Phone *
Your Date Of Birth
Amount of Coverage
Type
* Please Confirm Your Contact Details Are Correct

What Clients Say About LSM

life insurance testimonialsJack Bendahan of LSM Insurance helped me with two insurance policies. He then even...1 of 84Dags Marasigan, PMPRead more

22 Comments

1. sara 06/23/2009 at 6:17 am

Such a very nice information

2. LSM Insurance 06/23/2009 at 8:59 am

Thanks for the kind words. Regards … Lorne

3. Leon 03/18/2013 at 2:49 am

I would be curious to see some hard stats which link exercise to an increase in income.

4. Lorne 03/18/2013 at 10:50 am

According to the research done by Vasilios Kosteas of Cleveland State University working out does have a positive impact on earning power.

5. Paul Y 03/25/2013 at 1:29 pm

Some great points on goal setting and treating your workouts as an appointment. This has helped me stay on track.

6. Lorne 03/25/2013 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

7. Harsh 10/04/2013 at 5:22 am

What do you think is the most important factor to get past the first year in this industry and stay sane :)

8. LSM Insurance 10/04/2013 at 8:35 am

I think key is to have a clear written plan of action and stay good busy i.e. meeting with people and talking with people in person, by phone or via social media on how you can help.

Focus on their needs and of course make time for yourself to stay active schedule it as an appointment.

9. LSM Insurance 01/15/2014 at 6:55 pm

Higher Income Levels and Education linked to better health link to healthland.time.com

10. Frank E 04/12/2014 at 3:18 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head. Goal setting is crucial, you need to make health a priority to make it reality.

11. LSM Insurance 04/12/2014 at 4:04 pm

Thanks Frank. I appreciate that – I think most people underestimate the impact a healthy lifestyle can have on not only your personal life but also your business life. Have a great weekend!

12. Kaley 05/24/2014 at 11:33 am

How big an impact does build have when applying for life insurance. Do the insurance companies factor in body fat percentages or do they just use build tables?

13. LSM Insurance 05/24/2014 at 12:08 pm

Most insurance companies have external or internal build tables. They will generally not look at body fat percentages. But the broker can submit these details in the special notes or instructions section or submit a cover letter with the application. If the broker has a good relationship with the underwriter / carrier he/she may also be able to have the underwriter have a stronger look at the individual circumstances of the application.

14. Lisa 05/27/2014 at 2:20 pm

What are some quick workplace options you recommend to improve your health

15. LSM Insurance 05/27/2014 at 2:22 pm

Consider investing in a Vitamix – it can be a little pricey but I think its worth the investment – maybe everyone can chip in – you will save a lunch on lunches. Everyone could bring in vegetables and you could make a big fresh vegetable soup. It comes with some great recipes

16. Karla 06/02/2014 at 3:47 pm

How much do you think occupation impacts your ability to stay healthy and does occupation also impact life ins premiums.

17. LSM Insurance 06/02/2014 at 3:51 pm

Karla, for sure a high stress job can impact your health. Having said there a lot of things that can help keeping you fit even if you have a demanding job. Take lots of short breaks, research shows even taking a break and standing up for 20 seconds can help.

In most instances occupation does not impact life insurance rates but it for particularly hazardous occupations it can.

18. Harris 06/26/2014 at 8:01 am

What is your favorite quick workout. Most days I have less than 30 minutes

19. LSM Insurance 06/26/2014 at 9:46 am

You can still have a great workout in 30 minutes with interval training. Pick 5 exercises and complete 1 after the other. Rest 90 seconds and repeat the sequence 5 times.

20. LSM Insurance 06/26/2014 at 9:48 am

Harris here is another good option from Kate Dailey of Canadian Living High Intensity Training link to canadianliving.com

21. Jason 07/07/2014 at 4:49 pm

I saw you Toronto Star article on the 4 day work week. Did you have a hard time fitting this into your schedule and how about working out on those days

22. LSM Insurance 07/07/2014 at 5:01 pm

Thanks Jason. The 4 day work week actually creates more time as there is less commuting. As for working out those days it is the first thing I put in my schedule so this not an issue. Sometimes life happens and my workout does have to be reschedule. But I think putting it in your schedule first before other appointments is key

Skip to